7720 Ocean Park Dr.
Antelope, CA 95843
Office Hours: Monday - Friday 7:45am - 4:15pm
COMMON CORE FOR PARENTS
If you are not already aware, we are in the process of making some big changes in “what” and “how” students are learning in schools. This is a shift to new California state standards called the Common Core State Standards. There are three key ideas for parents who are trying to understand the new standards.
- Think deeply. The Common Core emphasizes critical thinking, not just memorizing facts. Students are expected to analyze, discuss, evaluate, justify, and explain their thinking.
- Integrated learning. The Common Core emphasizes learning across subjects (i.e. math, science, and reading are all practiced at the same time). This is what we do in the real world and students need to understand that everything is related.
- Defending their argument. The Common Core emphasizes proof and evidence. Students are expected to provide evidence and support their opinions.
What can parents do to support their children at home to be successful in the Common Core State Standards?
- Ask children “why?” questions like, “Why do you think this?”
- When reading a story or article, don’t just let them answer comprehension questions but ask them, “How do you know? Show me where in the story you found out”.
- Compare how things are alike and different. Look for patterns. Describe and categorize things.
- Do lots of reading and writing about real things and issues (non-fiction is emphasized).
- For more information and to see the actual standards, go to: www.cde.ca.gov/re/cc/
School Registration 2015-2016
Do you need to register your child for the 2015-16 school year? School registration will be accepted at each individual school site effective Thursday, July 23rd for Middle School and Creekview Ranch campuses, and beginning Monday, July 28th for all other Dry Creek Joint Elementary Schools.
To register, please bring the following three items with you:
- Child's Birth Certificate
- Proof of Residency (one or more of the following). Documentation must show the parent(s), or legal guardian(s) name and current address.
- Most current utility bill, rental agreement or copy of purchase agreement, property tax receipt, voter registration, pay stub, correspondence from a government agency, or notarized declaration of residency.
- Child's current immunization record
Click HERE for more information.
Dry Creek District News
Barrett Ranch News
No news posted
At Barrett Ranch Elementary School we will:
- Make decisions knowing that students come first.
- Instill life-long love of learning through a creative, engaging and challenging standards-based curriculum.
- Provide a safe, positive and child-centered learning environment in which students, staff and community collaborate to meet the academic, social and emotional needs of all students.
- Embrace the diversity of our school community to provide a model of citizenship while building lasting relationships.
We show RESPECT. We make GOOD DECISIONS. We SOLVE PROBLEMS.
Welcome to Barrett Ranch Elementary School, a California Distinguished School.
There are many things that make Barrett Ranch such a special place. Our school is a safe and nurturing place in which respect is a part of everyday life at school. School-wide programs such as PBIS (Positive Behavior Interventions and Support) and Character Counts put a special focus on social and emotional well-being for all students and help foster a special sense of pride and positivity at our school.
The adults work hard to ensure that all academic needs are met- whether a student is struggling (Response to Intervention system) or whether a student is ready for more challenge (Gifted and Talented Education clusters). Our passionate staff is dedicated to teaching and learning.
PowerSchool Parent Portal Now Online for 4th - 8th grade (Kindergarten - 3rd Grade to be Available Mid-September)
Because information is key to parent involvement, and parent involvement is critical to student success, all Dry Creek Joint Elementary School District (DCJESD) Schools offer parents access to ...more
AFTER SCHOOL SCIENCE AND TECHNOLOGY PROGRAMS AT BARRETT RANCH
Is your Barrett Ranch Bronco a budding scientist?
Do you want your child to be engaged in learning after school?
"NASA- Journey into Outer Space", "LEGO Engineering", "App Design, Video Game/Computer ...more
July 27 - Office Re-Open 7:45-4:15 pm
Aug. 7 - Class Lists Posted @ 5:00 pm in front of school office
Aug. 10 - Kindergarten Orientation 4:30 pm, Town Hall (MP room)
Aug. 12 - First Day of School
Dry Creek Joint Elementary School District is taking an eco-friendly green approach to inform you of non-district sponsored sports, clubs, or community events by saving paper and precious time in the classroom.
Flyers available for viewing are posted under Parent Resources, Flyers/Community Events, on the District website, www.drycreek.k12.ca.us